Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Lunching alone

Ok - I am a freelance business professional with 12 years invested in both contract and freelance work. I am also a photographer. And I work alone a lot of the time.
Recently, I've come to need to get out of the house. I need to just pack up and go. Thus, there are days when no matter what, I eat alone while I work.

Some still stare at the woman eating alone. I wear my wedding ring always. I'm not trying to meet anyone. I don't want to be a hanger outer in the local dive.

I'm sitting here eating a not so good salad. The chicken is chopped up into little itsy bitsy pieces and the iceburg lettuce is boring. But I needed food and I needed to get away from the house.

So here I sit and some bar fly is seated at the counter. He's already loud enough I hear every word he speaks. As I felt his gaze, I looked up and he gave me that smile....that questioning " are you available" smile. Dammit, I came here to be away but to also be alone. Clearly he is a well liked regular. But still....
I didn't plan on this kind of distraction.

When is alone isolating? Because I'm not isolating. I am just alone today. And that does not mean lonely. I could have gone to a more expensive lunch spot....but this has a nice view of the river.
Hmph.

No comments: